Let’s do a mixed media cover today!
I recently got a Jane Davenport Butterfly Effect book which allows you to easily add paper inserts, just like in a Midori…
Now of course you can buy a beautiful mixed media cover with Jane’s artwork already on it but, being an artist, I went for the blank cover so I could put my own art on it. I know you understand me so I won’t explain further 😉
The cover is made of blank canvas fabric and is very easy to paint so I decided to go with the flow and see where it would take me…
Jane Davenport mixed media cover, here I come!
- First, I applied a thick layer of white gesso on the front and back to make sure everything was nicely sealed and ready to take paint and whatever I wanted to throw at it 🙂 I was careful to avoid painting the elastics at first but you will see by the end of this video that there is just no point hahaha
- Once everything was thoroughly dry, I started finger painting, spreading lovely colours around and blending them together: turquoise, lime green, mauve, magenta…
- I added some interest with gold paint and a pretty stencil by Tim Holtz…
- Then, off camera (batteries always die half way through!), a few turquoise stems…
And that’s it, I’m loving it just the way it is now!
- I decided to create my background with FW pearlescent inks… They are liquid acrylics so easy to apply and very vibrant! I started with yellow, orange, some red, turquoise for contrast then silver pearl to tone down some parts and make the background look uniform.
- I used black and ink and a Punchanella stamp to add texture…
- Then dripped more ink, spraying water as I went along… FUN!
- Once everything was nice and dry, I stamped pretty textured circles with white ink then added smaller circles with yellow paint and a border stencil. And that’s all it needed!
To unify everything I rubbed a little gold paint with my finger on all the edges, also creating a thin border on the front and back.
And finally, off camera, I added a nice of gloss varnish everywhere to protect my hard work 🙂
Watch the video tutorial…
And let me know your thoughts on this with a comment below (scroll down to the bottom of the page) as I always love to hear from you!
With love and sunshine,
Art supplies used
(click on blue links if you want to buy the same ones)
- Jo Sonja acrylic paints
- Makeup sponges
- Tim Holtz Scribbles stencil
- The Crafter’s Workshop Vine stencil
- Pebeo Iridescent Gold
- FW Pearlescent Acrylic Inks: Hot Cool Yellow, Hot Mamma Red, Sun Orange & Silver Pearl
- FW Acrylic Ink: Turquoise
- Carabelle Studio Stamp Punchanella
- Stazon inkpad Jet Black
- MMS Pretty Borders stencil
- Dylusions Acrylic Lemon Zest
- Carabelle Studio Circles & Text stamp
- Memento Luxe inkpad Wedding Dress
- Liquitex Gloss Varnish & Medium
Photos of my mixed media cover Butterfly Effect Book