A quick mixed media page for when you don’t have much time!
This quick mixed media page tutorial will show you that even if you don’t have much time, you can still be creative!
Simply use a page full of leftover paints and marks from previous sessions (when you had more time lol) and add a few bits and pieces over it. It doesn’t have to be fancy or complicated, you just want to release your creative energy quickly. And you have full permission to do that 🙂
Tutorial steps, part 1
- My background was already pretty colourful so I reached out to my Secret Stash book to help me out some quick elements to it!
- I tore out a few pieces of paper with colours that seemed to contrast with my background and glued/sealed them with gel medium.
By the way, don’t be ‘weirded out’ about tearing up a book because this one is made for it! The paper is uncoated so you write on it easily, or paint on it, or just tear it up to create more art. I promise you I will be sad if you get a copy and leave it untouched 😉 If it really makes you feel bad then please get 2 copies: one to look at and keep for inspiration and another to create more beautiful art of your own 😉
- Moving on… So, we have our bits of paper nicely glued and dry…
Let’s add some texture with a leafy stamp and gorgeously contrasting hot pink – YUM! You can add any leftover paint to another art journal page so next time you don’t have much time, you’ll have something ready to go, just like we’re doing here 😉
- Let’s now paint some fun yellow circles and use Distress crayons in equally fun colours to highlight them. These are super soft so all you need to blend the colours is to use your finger 😉
Tutorial steps, part 2
- A little more fun and highlight now with some iridescent paint in various colours… You can layer them too! Do a large pink circle and when it’s dry, add a smaller one on top in blue or green for example.
- This page is already quite busy now so there isn’t much else to add… How about some subtle texture using dark grey ink and a detailed stencil like the Reversed Chicken Wire design? I’m adding it in some of the less busy areas in between my circles. Love it!
- And for the final touch of pop, I’m using my favourite stencil of the moment (the MMS Pretty Borders stencil) as I just love the circle pattern… With a little white on a makeup sponge, it just looks like gentle drops of water are falling from the top of the page, don’t you agree?
- Well, I’m already done! Told you this would be a quick mixed media page 🙂
Watch the video tutorial…
Watch the video tutorial below and let me know your thoughts on this with a comment below (scroll down to the bottom of the page) as I always love to hear from you!
Art supplies used:
(click on blue links if you want to buy the same ones)
- Mimi Bondi Secret Stash book
- Gel medium
- Dina Wakley Leafy Stencil
- Dylusions Paint in Bubblegum Pink and Lemon Zest
- Tim Holtz Distress Crayons
- Pebeo Studio Acrylic Iridescent Paint in Violet/Blue, Green/Yellow and Blue/Green
- Stazon Stone Gray inkpad
- the Crafter’s Workshop Chicken Wire Reversed Stencil
- MMS Pretty Borders stencil
- Liquitex Basics Acrylic in Titanium White
Art journal page photos:
Inspired to create a quick mixed media page too?
I hope this little exercise has reminded you that you don’t NEED lots of time to have some fun with art, just go for it, even if it’s for 5 minutes!
With love and sunshine,