Crazy World mixed media tutorial because… Why not?!
Today I am eager to test out my new large Strathmore mixed media journal and Carabelle Studio Wonderful Flower Strips Stamps!!
Let’s get right into this Crazy World mixed media page 😉
- First I am going to quickly fill my page by squeezing paint straight from the tubes onto my art journal page: pinkish-red, light and dark orange and yellow!
- Using a large paintbrush I am spreading out the paint, blending as I go but not trying to make it neat at all!
- One of my favourite masks is going to give me a wonderful pattern very easily here! Because I want it to really stand out, I am going to use Dylusions paint which is very opaque…
- Using a makeup sponge, I apply Vibrant Turquoise and London Blue paint to the entire page then comes the moment of truth…
Let’s slowly peel off the mask and… Ohhh how dramatic and awesome does this look???
- But we’re not done yet! I want to add a subtle colours by applying first some light pink, then yellow and light turquoise.
The paper is holding up beautifully by the way and I’m loving how it feels to paint on it!
- Now I want to add contrasting texture but nothing to strong because we already have a lot going on in the back so I’m using a Carabelle Studio stamp sheet and white ink… The stamp is so flexible that I can easily reach hard to get areas (like near the spiral binding) and select just sections of the design.
- Trying to apply some restraint as I could be stamping all day, I now move on to adding a little bit more colour with purple and light pink.
- Next I’m applying some tiny dots with the help of a Tim Holtz stencil and dark grey ink before getting to the piece of resistance!
- Finally, let’s play with the gorgeous Carabelle Studio stamps! I’m inking one of them before firmly pressing it down on the lower left bottom corner of my page.
- I’m also stamping the right side of my page with a second stamp from the same set but it didn’t turn out as crisp (I must have moved!). It’s ok, it happens 😉 It wasn’t going to be the main focal point so I’m toning it down with a bit of light pink paint and light turquoise. And why not a little more purple 🙂
- Next I’m outlining my stamped flower and the one on the top with a white gel ink pen, going near the design, not over it as I don’t want to lose it.
- Finally, I want to create a border but not with a border stamp so.. I choose a few smaller flower stamps to repeat all the way around my page instead.
- Final touches: a few of of the same flowers but with gold paint to add a subtle shimmer and it’s done 🙂
Watch the video tutorial below and let me know your thoughts on this with a comment below (scroll down to the bottom of the page) as I always love to hear from you!
With love and sunshine,
Art supplies used to create my Crazy World mixed media page:
(click on blue links if you want to buy the same ones)
- Strathmore Journal Mixed Media Large
- Dylusions paint Vibrant Turquoise and London Blue
- Makeup sponges
- Liquitex Basics acrylic paint: Medium Magenta, Light Blue Permanent, Primary Red, Cadmium Yellow Light Hue, Cadmium Orange Hue, Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue, Brilliant Purple
- Floral Designer Mask 12x12in Prima Marketing
- Carabelle Studio Sketch Texture Plate A6
- Tsukineko StazOn Stone Gray Ink Pad
- Tsukineko Brilliance Moonlight White Ink Pad
- Tim Holtz Stencil Dot Fade
- Finger Dauber to apply ink through stencil
- Carabelle Studio Wonderful Flower Strips Stamp A4
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pen White Medium
- MMS So Many Flowers Stamps
- Tsukineko Brilliance Galaxy Gold Ink Pad
Crazy World mixed media journal page Mimi Bondi