Little Clouds art journal tutorial in the heat!
It’s very, VERY hot today out here in sunny Australia! The fan is buzzing in the background, moving my art journal pages around… But it’s keeping me cool while I attempt to do an art journal spread and record this little clouds art journal tutorial for you 😉
Let’s get started…
- I’m playing with my lovely Liquitex Basics acrylic paints today, starting with a bit of light green, mauve and light turquoise… I think they will look lovely as patches of colour on my background! I’m spreading the paint around with my fingers, making sure I leave finger marks to create a little texture.
- Next I’m pulling out my small stencil collection, looking for one that will create interesting texture, such as the chicken wire stencil! I add the some aqua green and bright green with a make up sponge for a soft but clear effect…
- I don’t want to cover my page with just one type of texture, so I’m choosing another stencil with squares for more interest.
Now let’s add more texture…
- Now, using dark purple ink (because it’s a dark colour but not as harsh as black) and a hand carved stamp, I add more texture throughout my pages.
- Then I add a little yellow to unify all areas a little… Then some pink.
- I create a funky border using a Dina Wakley stamp. I didn’t stamp perfectly but it adds to the handpainted feel!
- Using a large flower stencil and some of my previous green and aqua colours (and some white), I add large subtle flowers in both corners of my spread
- I add some iridescent gold around the flowers to create a subtle highlight…
- Then spread a little white paint here and there to create happy little clouds (as someone famous would say!) and softening up the edges of my border at the same time.
- And the final touch is a few little white dots highlighting the center of the flowers and the petals.
You could add a quote that inspires you or journal on top but I’m happy to leave it as is.
Oh my, I love it so much!!! 🙂
Try it out for yourself and let me know with a comment below what you think of my little clouds art journal tutorial!
Love to you my Creative Friend,
Supplies used in this Little Clouds art journal tutorial:
(click on blue links to get the same art supplies)
- Dylusions art journal 5x8in
- Liquitex Basics Brilliant Yellow Green, Light Blue Permanent, Brilliant Purple, Bright Aqua Green, Light Green Lermanent, Cadmium Yellow Light Hue, Medium Magenta
- Pebeo Studio Iridescent Gold
- Stazon Royal Purple inkpad
- Hand carved stamp (learn stamp carving with me here!)
- Makeup sponge
- StencilGirl Deconstructed Double Zinnia Mask & Stencil
- Tim Holtz Tiles stencil
- The Crafters Workshop Chicken Wire stencil
- Dyan Reaveley Clearly Borders Stamps