[responsivevoice_button voice=”UK English Female” buttontext=”Listen to Post”]
Where I went wrong mixed media art tag
Have you had a ”went wrong mixed media moment” lately? I just did hahaha
And if like me you have pages and shipping tags with leftover paint from previous projects or from experimenting then it’s time to pull them out (at least one!) and do something with them 😉
This one had blue paint in the background a stamp I was testing out with distress oxides. I decided to make something out of it!
Ok let’s get to it!
- I pulled out my Neocolor II crayons to add a little colour in the empty areas… Rub your colours, add a little water and voila! A pretty watercolour effect 🙂
- Once dry I went through some of my awesome art journalling stamps by Carabelle Studio and pulled out a circle stamp and triangle border stamp and some black ink and started stamping!
- Next, my Gelatos came out (and the Neocolors too) to add colour to my shapes…
- Then a little finger painting with Liquitex Basics acrylics because they have some transparency to them and I didn’t want to completely cover my previous layers… A little bit of green, a little blue…
- Before moving on to stamping with my favourite Darkroom Door texture stamps and Distress Oxides, which I sprayed with a little water.
- I wanted to add a focal point at the bottom so I used flower stamps with black distress oxide which (and this is my ”where I went wrong mixed media moment”) I sprayed with water as well, ruining the designs lol I should just have done them with stazon!
- Now what to do to cover this mess? Paint of course! A little finger painting with acrylic paint and pearlescent liquid acrylic inks saved the day and took me in another direction. Don’t you love when that happens? There are so many possibilities when you create!!
- Now I could add new focal points and this time, did you notice, I used stazon 😉 I selected one of my hand carved stamps to add large shapes on my art tag and then used a couple of stencils to add subtle colour and texture.
- Some dot outlining with a white marker for final touches and I’m done, and happy 🙂
Watch the video tutorial below and let me know your thoughts on this with a comment below (scroll down to the bottom of the page) as I always love to hear from you!
With love and sunshine,
Art supplies used:
(click on blue links if you want to buy the same ones)
- Shipping tag
- Liquitex Basics acrylics
- Distress Oxides
- Stazon Jet Black
- Carabelle Studio Strange Nature Stamp Set
- Carabelle Studio Doodl’art Stamp set
- Neocolor II crayons
- FW Acrylic Ink Pearlescent
- Tim Holtz stencil (can’t remember the name)
- Darkroom Door Chevron Stamp
- Darkroom Door Polka Dots Stamp
- Darkroom Door Dots Stamp
- Sharpie Paint Marker White Medium Waterbased
The white dots finishing this did the trick ! So pretty ! I have some gelatos and thinking about getting the neo II colors . Can you tell me how they are different ? Thank you !!
Thank you Nancy!! Just google ”neocolor gelato difference” and you’ll get a faster explanation 😉
I always love to make something out of a mistake or botched piece and I love what you did with this tag. Right before you stamped the last black image I said to myself, Ooh…. needs something black. Yay. I’m not an artist but I got it right. Thanks for all your inspiring pieces.
We are all artists Colleen, including you! Glad to hear we are on the same wavelength 🙂 Thanks so much for your support xxx
You did such an amazing job! Even though you had a boo boo, it turned out beautiful! And may you please tell me what is the name of the white pen you used to create the dots???? I’d love to buy that, i’m in the states. Thank you!
Thanks so much Jo 😉 I just updated the list of supplies 😉 xx
Great comeback, Mimi. I just love what you did with the white dots!
Thanks so much Sharon! xx
the large flower stencil in No shenanigans what is it called and who makes it I would love it for so many reasons
It was from a local shop not available anymore. Your next best thing is this one from my store: https://mixedmediastore.com.au/shop/stencils-masks/colorbox-bloom-stencil 😉 Please post future questions related to my teachings in the FB support group created especially for this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mixedmediatribe x mimi
So pretty! Wish I could get the nerve to try something like this!
You sure can Eleanor!! Please check out my No Shenanigans book and e-course, and then you’ll be able to do this 🙂
AS always, you are an inspiration! Love your creativity, mistakes and all!
All part of the process, right? 🙂 Thank you Linda!!