This is the easiest foil technique ever!
I really love anything shiny! Over the years, you’ve seen me add metallic ink, metallic and iridescent paint and rainbow glitter to my art journal pages, right?
The truth is, I have been jealous of those gorgeous greeting cards with foil on them for a while now and that pushed me to experiment…
And finally, I have come up with the an simple, super easy foil technique that requires nothing but a foil sheet, woot woot!!!
This is all you need to do:
- Place your foil sheet (it HAS TO BE a rub-on foil sheet to work, I use Prima Marketing Rub-On Foil Sheets that you can buy here) over your mixed media project (greeting card, art tag, art journal page…)
- Hold it firmly with one hand and use the tip of your nail to rub the foil sheet down: create lines, squiggles, stars…
- Peel the sheet off and, voila! Even a penguin could do it, right? 🙂
- Now if you can get an embossing tool/stylus (or try an old BIC pen with no ink in it?), you can also trace through the openings of any stencil!
- Try also tracing around objects and keep experimenting to create something cool 🙂
I am so excited to have discovered how easy it can be to add foil to my mixed media art and I hope you will be too!
Watch the video tutorial below and let me know your thoughts on this with a comment below (scroll down to the bottom of the page) as I always love to hear from you!
With love and sunshine,
Wow – what a wonderful and lovely technique! The journal pages you shared with the foil flowers are so beautiful! Your happy personality always shines through! Thanks so much for sharing! Kathy
Thanks so much Kathy! So happy you love this cool little technique and I hope you’ll be using it now 😊
The tool you have been using is a stylus and they are easy to find at craft supply stores and I know the art stores where I live carry them as well.
Thanks for letting me know Darlene! So happy to hear they’re easy to find 😀
Fab fab fab
So glad you enjoyed my little foil technique Jan, hope you will use foil in your mixed email art now 😊
Thanks for this lovely tutorial.
The tool is known as embossing tool (just like you suggested)here in the Netherlands.
I should like to try the foil, but unfortunately nowhere to buy. Yet unknown.
Thank you Florenel! Happy to hear you enjoyed the tutorial on how to foil really easily 🙂 You can buy the foil from my store here: https://mixedmediastore.com.au/product-category/embellishments (if I send the foil without the plastic tube, postage would be very cheap! Just contact me via the store if you’re interested). xx mimi